Zinc is a wonderful mineral for health so zinc help immune system, as it supports the natural growth of the body and aids in wound healing.
When winter is approaching, be sure to have enough zinc in your body, because zinc deficiency leads to more diseases and a longer recovery time.so let’s talk about the importance of zinc in your immune system.
You can watch this video to see a summary of this article
How does zinc help immune system?
One of the most important things it has the capacity to help in supporting your immune system.
- If you’re low in zinc you’re not going to make enough testosterone.
- Zinc involved in genes DNA synthesis making DNA it’s involved in many different enzymes it’s involved in protein synthesis wound healing heart health joint health insulin thymus function and gonads.
- low in zinc causes thymic atrophy and this reduces the t-cells which is a training camp for white blood cells so your lymphocytes function goes down and the immune system doesn’t respond correctly anymore.
- You will get a decreased recovery rate of the infection so it takes you longer to heal and increased the duration of the infection.
Do we need to increase the proportion of zinc to boost immunity?
Studies and research have proven that the body needs specific amounts of zinc, so there is no need to increase the amount of zinc in the body.
Taking the recommended amounts of zinc helps protect against pneumonia.
How does zinc fight Streptococcus pneumonia?
- Researchers have proven that zinc is an essential component of immune cells, both T cells, and white blood cells.
- Zinc has proven a remarkable ability to cure the bacteria Streptococcus pneumoniae, which causes serious pneumonia.
- Zinc help immune system by blocks the pathway these bacteria use to absorb nutrients, which are present in the body.
- Bacteria weaken and starve and become easier to eliminate
- The immune cells attack the harmful bacteria and make an antibiotic for them.
When is the recommendation to treat colds?
Research has found that zinc help immune system and prevents the cold virus from multiplying. Take a zinc emulsion as soon as you already have an infection. It makes the first cold symptoms less effective compared to people who have not.
Whether or not you should take a zinc supplement? And Why do people take zinc?
People take zinc if a symptom appears for the following diseases:
- The common cold
- Resisting upper respiratory tract infections for children
- Helps heal wounds
- Fighting viral and bacterial infections
- Treatment of diaper rash and skin irritation, with topical zinc
- Treatment of ulcers
- Treatment of ADHD
- Treating acne
- Treating sickle cell anemia
- A treatment for herpes
- Treatment for rheumatoid arthritis
- Effective treatment for age-related macular degeneration.
When should I take a zinc supplement?
1-For Militant vegetarians
If you are a vegetarian, make sure to take an adequate zinc supplement because:
- Meat is the best source of zinc, and thus your body will face a severe deficiency and cause weak immunity.
- Food plants, especially grains and additional legumes in a vegetarian diet, reduce the body’s ability to absorb zinc.
2- If you’re consuming cereal on a regular basis or you’re doing bread and pasta and certain crackers things like that you potentially could be deficient in zinc.
3- Those who suffer from some digestive problems, because you need a lot of strong stomach acid to pull in the zinc.
4- Antacids pull the stomach acid out leaving you deficient in stomach acid.
5- If you’re some type of pre-existing gut damage or inflammation your gut because of whatever maybe you took antibiotics or Crohn’s disease that could prevent the absorption of zinc.
How much zinc help immune system should you take?
The answers to this question revolve around, how much zinc should you take? and What is the Upper Acceptable Intake Level (UL)?
How much zinc should you take?
The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) includes the zinc you get.
|Age||Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) of Zinc||Category|
|7 months to 3 years||3 mg/day||CHILDREN|
|4-8 years||5 mg/day|
|9-13 years||8 mg/day|
|14-18 years||9 mg/day||FEMALES|
|19 years and up||8 mg/day|
|14-18 years:||12 mg/day||Pregnant|
|19 years and over||11 mg/day|
|14-18 years:||13 mg/day||Breastfeeding|
|19 years and over||12 mg/day|
|14 years and up||11 mg/day||MALES|
Source of table PMC
What is the acceptable upper intake level (UL)?
If you want to consume Zinc from foods or nutritional supplements, you should pay attention to the acceptable upper intake level (UL).
Keep in mind that this upper limit includes the zinc you get so never take more unless your health care provider says.
(Children & Adults)
|Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) of Zinc|
|0-6 months||4 mg/day|
|7-12 months||5 mg/day|
|1-3 years||7 mg/day|
|4-8 years||12 mg/day|
|9-13 years||23 mg/day|
|14-18 years||34 mg/day|
|19 years and up||40 mg/day|
Source of table PMC
What type of zinc is best for immune system?
Here are the 4 best zinc supplements to help you meet your nutritional needs.
While ensuring good manufacturing process (GMP) traceability, high-quality ingredients, and passing purity and quality tests.
One of the best zinc supplements on the market because the products have been tested to ensure there are no more than 200 substances
Zinc can be taken anytime also You can take this at night to improve sleep.
Zinc is a great immune system booster then after 3 months, your bloodwork was repeated So, no more colds, or flu all winter.
1 tablet daily. May be taken anytime throughout the day, even on an empty stomach.it can be taken with or without food.
Additional It’s a blend of various vegetables including spinach, brown rice, parsley, carrot, broccoli, and beetroot.
Garden of Life is a whole-foods-based supplement brand with products that are certified organic and non-GMO verified. so, it very suitable for vegans.
You will start taking these Pills + probiotics and yeast. you can’t believe how your skin is.
The best option for vegans, because third-party tested to ensure the product is vegan, as well as gluten-free
Just Raw, food created nutrients for immune system support, skin health, and eye health, as well as prostate health
Best zinc for men’s immune system
Also contains zma, a synergistic combination of zinc and magnesium for the support of healthy immune.
This stuff works great. So it helps to increase testosterone levels quickly.
No jitters or heart racing at all. Will continue to buy more!
Vitamins and zinc
If you are taking a nutritional multivitamin, do not be alarmed because the amount of zinc in a typical multivitamin is designed to be taken daily. so, in general, a multivitamin contains 6 to 11 mg of zinc.
Do not add an extra zinc supplement until after checking with your doctor otherwise do so for a short period of time.
Why does zinc upset my stomach?
Beware of stomach irritation. Because zinc is one of the nutrients that can cause nausea or gastrointestinal discomfort.
If your stomach acid levels are low, it is important for you to properly assess stomach acid before taking zinc as a treatment, so supplements come in many forms, and they can be found in tablet or liquid form.
Specialists recommend that zinc should be taken with food to avoid stomach irritation at a regular and gradual rate to ensure complete recovery and until symptoms disappear of the common cold.
You can take zinc lozenges at the onset of symptoms every 1-2 hours for 48 hours.
DGL helps stimulate the production of a mucus-like lining that protects the stomach from acids and other irritants.
Best food sources of zinc
It is great to focus on adding zinc-rich foods to your diet but why?
Because you will provide your body with other nutrients and vitamins especially vitamin E.
Your body can boost its immune system if these nutrients are combined with zinc such as protein, fiber, and other minerals.
Best natural source of zinc
How much zinc in oysters?
Oysters are bivalve mollusks in saltwater and a vital part of the ecosystem. So it contains 3.5 ounces (100 grams) of oysters providing more than 600% of the recommended amount.
Which meats are high in zinc?
You can find copious amounts of meat especially Beef shoulder steak and Ground beef(Red meat ).
Stay away from processed meats or eat them to a minimum and consume unprocessed red meat as part of a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and fiber. You will avoid the risks of heart disease and some types of cancer.
Poultry especially Turkey (dark meat)
Whole grain oats
Contain zinc but in lower levels Beans, soy, yogurt, chickpeas, and nut.
Can you get zinc naturally from foods?
Yes, you can but You should include foods rich in zinc on a daily to ensure to have consumed enough.
What are the risks of taking zinc?
1- Irritation and there may be a loss of sense of smell and taste for a few days, especially when using zinc nasal sprays.
2- Stomach and mouth irritation when using zinc supplements.
3- Be careful and ask your healthcare provider because when taking other supplements or medicines such as calcium, magnesium, copper, and iron, they interact with zinc.
4- If you are pregnant, be careful of high doses of zinc, as it may harm the fetus.
Can zinc lower immune system?
The maximum allowed is 40 mg of zinc per day, so there is nothing wrong with consulting a registered dietitian. But why?
because excessive intake of zinc is dangerous because it impedes immune function instead of helping it by:
- Do not take zinc for a long time, as it impedes the absorption of copper, as its deficiency leads to a decrease in the number of white blood cells, which weakens the immunity.
- If the level of zinc increases in intensity in the body for a long time, it leads to poor absorption of iron and thus weakening of immune cells, which will face difficulty in resisting the disease.
- If you have HIV, or have hemochromatosis should be careful because Zinc reduced immune function by change mineral imbalances and cause fever, nausea, cough.